Well guys, I got on the Titanfall beta and I have to say, I was impressed! This really does feel like ‘next-gen’ gaming, it’s certainly a graphical step-up from the previous generation. Don’t forget, if you registered before Saturday 15th February 16:00 PST, your copy of the Titanfall beta will be in your Origin account (somewhere near the bottom apparently). Though this is being called a beta I think calling it a minimal demo would be more accurate, with less than a month till the release data I cannot see many changes being made the final version, especially the removal/modification of minions which is something everyone wants, but I’ll get to that in my next post.
If you don’t know what the game is about, I suggest you check out some game play videos, but here’s a quick breakdown of what it is before I get into my comments on the improvements that need to be made which is what I mainly want to talk about. (I’ll link the “review” when it’s posted. EDIT: Here’s the link to the review.)
You start of as a pilot in a battlefield where you must use your skills in stealth, parkour or pure assault to get kills. When you spawn, there is a count down timer in the bottom right corner starting at 4 mins, for each kill you get, this will reduce the timer (along with it reducing by the second). Once the timer reaches 0 your Titan is ready to fall. At this point you can call in your Titan which can be set to guard a specific area, follow you around, or you can get in and pilot it yourself.
There are 3 game modes in the Beta: Attrition, Hardpoint and Last Titan Standing. In respective order, these basically translate to the COD terms: team deathmatch, domination and search and destroy (in Titans) – CTF and another TDM are rumored to be in the final release. Each game mode is 6 vs 6 but there are also AI controlled “minions”.
There are 2 maps available in the beta
There are several weapons and ‘abilities’ available for pilots and Titans here’s a quick overview of what can be loaded in the loadouts (there are more weapons that can be accessed via burn cards):
- R-101C Carbine – Fully automatic assault rifle
- R-97 Compact SMG – Fully automatic sub-machine gun with a high fire rate.
- Smart Pistol Mk5 – Semi-auto handgun with lock-on capability
- EVA-8 Shotgun – Semi-automatic shotgun
- Longbow-DMR Sniper – Semi-automatic sniper rifle with zoom scope
- Hammond P2011 – A strong pistol, fast and destructive
- RE-45 Autopistol – Trading off damage for rapid fire, the RE-45 is a wonderful suppression weapon
- Sidewinder AT-SMR – A rapid-fire anti-Titan rocket launcher
- Archer Heavy Rocket – Guided anti-Titan rocket launcher
- Frag Grenade – A throw-able explosive
- Arc grenade – A grenade that can be thrown at enemy Titans and pilots that scramble their HUD and bring down titan shields
- Cloak – Temporarily grants invisibility to a Pilot, allowing for covert operations
- Stim – Temporarily boosts speed and health regen for a short time
Tier 1 Kit
- Enhanced Parkour Kit – Increases the amount of time you can wallrun and wallhang
- Explosive Pack – Increases your Pilot’s ordnance capacity
- Power Cell – Accelerates recharging of your Tactical Abilities
Tier 2 Kit
- Dome-Shield Battery – Extends the shielding of your Titan after Titanfall
- Minion Detector – Displays both friendly and enemy Grunts and Spectres on the minimap
- Warpfall Transmitter – Accelerates Titanfall timer, allowing for quicker deployment
There is only one Titan chassis available which is the Atlas, but this can have several different loadouts made up of the below parts. We don’t know how may there will be in the final release but there are rumors of around 3.
- 40mm Cannon – Titan-mounted blaster cannon that fires explosive rounds
- Quad Rocket – a launcher that fires four rockets at once, or a slow-moving swirl of rockets in alternative fire mode
- XO-16 Chaingun – high RPM chaingun that causes massive damage
- Rocket Salvo – standard rocket-launcher for offense Titans
- Slaved Warheads – rocket pod that requires a lock-on, before firing a cluster of homing missiles
- Electric Smoke – diversion ability which deploys a dense, electrically charged smoke cloud which causes damage to enemy Titans and Pilots
- Vortex Shield – a weapon which deflects munitions
Tier 1 Kit
- Fast Autoloader – this kit replenishes Titan Ordnance at an increased rate
- Nuclear Ejection – causes a nuclear explosion shortly after ejecting from a Titan
- Regen Booster – Increases the regeneration rate for the Titan bodyshield
Tier 2 Kit
- Auto-Eject – Auto-Eject allows you the freedom to ignore ejection warnings, as it will automatically eject you as soon as your Titan is doomed
- Survivor – Survivor allows you less lost health, and at a slower rate, before having to abandon your Titan
Burn cards are cards that can be equipped for one match (or round in Last Titan Standing) that can be used to give you a buff – i.e. faster pilot movement. You can equip up to 3 cards per match/round; they can be used whenever you spawn and will last until you die.
Here is a full list of available burn cards.
Source: Titanfall Wiki