So, finally, Ubisoft have announced that they will be release a patch to fix gameplay and graphical issues across all platforms starting with PS4 & PS3 then PC and finally Xbone and 360.
The main PC fix I am looking forward to is the control and performance fixes as after 1hr of playing I downright refused to play anymore until the game was patched.
Finally that patch is here:
Major Game Fixes
- Automatically reconstructed corrupted save files which prevented loading to go further than 90%. Some collectibles may remain unrecoverable.
- Fixed the issue preventing players from using hacks in game.
- Fixed several mission-breaking bugs.
- Fixed minor mission and item-related issues.
- Fixed the issue that caused the empty weapon-wheel.
- Fixed several minor respawn issues.
- Fixed some connection and session joining issues.
PC Specific Fixes
- Fixed graphical glitches on Low & Medium settings.
- Fixed some crashes on SLI configurations.
- Implemented several performance improvements.
- Implemented a few control improvements.
- Fixed issues causing infinite messaging and timing-out when trying to access the Online Shop from the Extras Menu while Uplay is set to Offline mode.
- Fixed issues connecting to a Multiplayer game.
- Implemented several mouse modifications.
- Fixed “Drinking Game” control issue where wrong information was displayed when played with a gamepad.
- Fixed “Chess Game” control issue.
- Fixed bug where the invasion setting was never saved.
- Fixed graphical issues during cut scenes and cinematics.
- Fixed several graphical and texture bugs.
- Removed Vista OS check to prevent false positives.
- Added game version in main menu.
‘E3 2012’ is a mod created for Watch Dogs that enabled locked files on PC to make it look like the demo we saw at E3 last year. Ubisoft released a statement about this mod and the locked files:
The dev team is completely dedicated to getting the most out of each platform, so the notion that we would actively downgrade quality is contrary to everything we’ve set out to achieve. We test and optimize our games for each platform on which they’re released, striving for the best possible quality. The PC version does indeed contain some old, unused render settings that were deactivated for a variety of reasons, including possible impacts on visual fidelity, stability, performance and overall gameplay quality. Modders are usually creative and passionate players, and while we appreciate their enthusiasm, the mod in question (which uses those old settings) subjectively enhances the game’s visual fidelity in certain situations but also can have various negative impacts. Those could range from performance issues, to difficulty in reading the environment in order to appreciate the gameplay, to potentially making the game less enjoyable or even unstable.
Thanks for playing Watch Dogs and stay safe on the mean streets of Chicago.
-The Watch Dogs Team
Not willing to comment on this until I have tried the mod, but I have my doubts about this ‘damaging effect’. To be quite honest, instead of just locking the files, you should have fixed it!